Friday, July 3, 2015

Lolita Underskirt Triple Review!

I have to admit, I love chiffon in lolita, and especially chiffon underskirts. Back in the day, taller lolitas were advised to use cotton underskirts, if the dress sat too high. But they almost always looked a bit "off"to me, so I used to avoid them. Nowadays, chiffon underskirts are something of staple for many Lolita's wardrobes. They can blend with dresses and skirts far better than their cotton counterparts, they give a more rich, elegant feeling to the coord, and they also help with the length of shorter dresses on taller girls (I am looking at you AP).




So far I have managed to collect 3 different skirts, all of them from indie or Taobao brands, and I will try to compare how they feel to me.





My first one was a custom order from Mystery Garden, a Polish lolita Brand. I've ordered from Mystery Garden twice in the past. The crafstmanship and quality was very decent, which was also the case with this skirt. Unfortunately they seem to be on hiatus for now.



The material used is chiffon. It was made in the exact shade of dark chocolate brown that I asked for. They promised they would make it in two weeks and they finished right on time. The communication was good but not perfect, as they would always answer to all of my PM's after a day or too. In general, the experience was very pleasant.


Price: 55$ + Shipping

Quality: 4.5/5
Construction: 5/5
Fit: 5/5
Making time:5/5
Communication: 4.5/5
Total: 4.8/5

The second one was a white underskirt with pleats and tiers, commissioned by MeLikesTea.
Melikestea is a lolita indie brand in Mexico. They have an amazing selection of hand made petticoats, but also quite a few other lolita skirts, jsks etc.



The material used is chiffon and it is lined with polyester fabric. It is very lightweight and soft to the touch. The construction is amazing. The waist is fully shirred but not frumpy at all. They even added a built in petticoat for volume, without charging anything extra. I am also very happy with construction time. They promised they would make it in 15 working days and they finished in 14 - perfect.




What is more important, communication was amazing! The girl that owns the shop is extremely friendly and helpful and she kept me updated throughout the procedure, from material pictures to any concerns that she had during construction. In fact I am so impressed that I plan on ordering one of their petticoats soon.

Price: 20$ + Shipping
Quality: 5/5;
Construction: 5/5
Fit: 5/5
Making time:5/5
Communication: 5/5
Total: 5/5

The third one is from Little Dipper. Little Dipper is a Taobao lolita brand. Their stuff looks generally cute but this is the first one I am getting from them, so I don't really have an opinion otherwise.

 


The material used is chiffon and it is fully lined with polyester fabric. This chiffon fabric is a lot thicker than my MeLikesTea skirt, so it is rather heavy and can seriously swallow your pettis poof. It is still very beautiful and soft to the touch. However it wrinkles like hell and after ironing it, I haven't managed to tame it yet :)




The construction is good but it could be better. There are no loose threads but due to the thickness of the fabric and the way it is gathered at the waist, makes it rather frumpy.
What really disappointed me the most with this though was the making time. The skirt was seriously delayed for weeks, because Little Dipper had lots of orders to fulfill. Making time was supposed to be 2-4 weeks but it actually took 2 months!

I didn't have direct communication with them, but through Martin (Clobba), who is always very punctual with responses.

Price: 68$ + Shipping
Quality: 4.5/5
Construction: 4.5/5
Fit: 5/5
Making time:2/5
Communication: 5/5
Total: 4.2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment